Recipe by IngridNL
This is a fantastic recipe. We found it in a local (Dutch) magazine called Aller Hande (12 2004). The combination of the cheesy sauce and the roasted red peppers is fabulous.
Top Review by Sandra_D
This lasagne is DELICIOUS! Really easy to make and just so tasty. I used fresh red peppers and roasted them myself beforehand and I used white sauce instead of Bechamel sauce then, to give it more flavour, added garlic, oregano, nutmeg and black pepper. I've been looking for a red pepper lasagne recipe for ages - thank you for this!
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (400 g) cancubed tomatoes
- 1 (465 g) jar roasted red peppers, cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 500 ml bechamel sauce (one packet)
- 250 g old cheddar cheese or 250 g other old cheese
- 250 g lasagna sheets (ones that don't require precooking)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- In a pan, saute the onions til translucent.
- Add the tomato and roasted peppers.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add paprika, a dash of sugar, salt, and pepper.
- In another pan, make the bechamel sauce according to directions.
- Add half of the cheese to the bechamel sauce and stir til melted.
- Assembling the lasagne:.
- Butter the bottom of the lasagne pan (2 1/2 litre lasagne pan) and pour a little of the juice from the pepper mixture over the bottom so that it doesn't stick.
- Layer in the following order: lasagne leaves, 1/3 of cheese sauce, lasagne, 1/2 of pepper mixture, lasagne noodles, 1/3 of cheese sauce, lasagne noodles, remainer of pepper mixture, lasagne noodles, remainder of the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the cheese.
- Cover the container with foil.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.