Recipe by Katha
Originally got this from Taste of Home Light & Tasty. Made a few changes as we love cheese. Made this for my dad's 70th birthday--everyone loved it. I hope you do too.
Top Review by grapefruit
This was delicious. However, I'm giving it 4 stars only because I felt the 9X13 dish was too large for this lasagne. I didn't seem to have enough of the pepper sauce to make more than two layers (and that too, barely). Maybe I did something wrong, but my sauce reduced quite a bit when it was cooking. I made no changes to the recipe except for adding fresh parsley and omitting the dried basil because I didn't have any. ALso - I used just 1 cup of parmesan. Loved the flavour of this lasagne and how creamy it was. Will make again. Thanks for the recipe Katha.
- 4 medium sweet red peppers
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk or 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each pepper into quarters remove seeds.
- Place peppers cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Broil 4 inches from heat for 20-25 minuets or until skin is blistered & blackened.
- Immediately place peppers in a bowl, cover & let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Peel off & discard skin.
- Cut peppers in 1/4 inch strips.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain.
- In saucepan cook red peppers & garlic in oil for about 1 minute; add tomatoes, parsley, sugar, basil & pepper.
- Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan melt butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk.
- Bring to a boil; cook& stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Spread 1 cup pepper sauce in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top with 3 noodles 1 1/2 cups pepper sauce, 1 cup white sauce 1/3 of parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- Or covered for 15-20 minutes then uncover for last 10-15 minuets.
- Let stand about 15 minutes before cutting.