Recipe by M&Mers
This is an excellent vegetarian dish to serve to company...very flavorful and can be prepared the day ahead. Prep time includes cooking time for tomato sauce. Recipe adapted from Canadian Living Magazine.
- spinach lasagna noodles (about 14 regular or 23 ruffled)
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, trimmed and washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 (19 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and nutmeg
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese or 1 cup Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Tomato Sauce: In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add next 7 ingredients (up to, but not including, tomatoes) and cook for about 8 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in tomatoes, peppers, paste and vinegar.
- Heat to boiling, reduce temperature and, stirring often, simmer for about 1 hour or until thick enough to mound on a wooden spoon.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook lasagna noodles for about 8 minutes or until tender.
- Drain (reserving hot water) and rinse under cold water.
- Set aside.
- Stir spinach into hot water and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and squeeze out liquid.
- Chop coarsely.
- To make White Sauce: Melt butter in medium saucepan, gradually whisk in flour and over medium heat cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (10-15 minutes).
- Whisk in 1/2 cup Asiago and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheeses until melted.
- To Assemble: Spread 1/4 of the tomato sauce in a 9 by 11 inch baking dish.
- Top with single layer of noodles, trimming to fit dish.
- Repeat layering (tomato sauce/noodles).
- Spread with 1/3 white sauce, and a single layer of noodles.
- Top with all of the spinach and the remaining Asiago cheese.
- Top with single layer of noodles, 1/4 tomato sauce, noodles and 1/3 white sauce.
- Repeat layering (noodles/tomato sauce/noodles/white sauce).
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Lasagna can be refrigerated at this point and cooked the next day (add 10 minutes to first baking time).
- Place dish on baking sheet and cook in a 375F (190C) degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, for another 30 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.