When allowed to reduce or cook down, balsamic vinegar becomes slightly sweet and thick. Here, it adds full-bodied flavor to light, crunchy appetizers. From Vegetarian Times(Feb. 2009).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (or nuts of choice)
- 1 red jalapeno chile
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (or honey)
- 6 thick slices ciabatta, toasted
- 1Toast pine nuts in skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned, shaking pan constantly. Set aside.
- 2Preheat broiler, and place oven rack in highest position. Coat bell peppers and jalapeño with 1 teaspoons oil. Place on baking sheet, and broil 15 minutes, or until blistered and partially blackened on all sides, turning often. Transfer to bowl, cover, and cool. Peel and seed. Slice bell peppers into thin strips, finely chop jalapeño, and transfer to bowl. Add pine nuts, parsley, mint, minced garlic, and remaining 2 teaspoons oil; toss to combine. Season with black pepper.
- 3Meanwhile, bring vinegar and agave syrup to a simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook 10 minutes, or until mixture reduces to about 3 Tbs. and coats bottom of pan when pan is tilted, stirring occasionally. Stir 1 Tbs. balsamic syrup into roasted pepper mixture. Marinate roasted pepper mixture 30 minutes, or chill overnight.
- 4Top bread slices with roasted pepper mixture, and drizzle with remaining balsamic reduction.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper Crostini With Balsamic Reduction
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 96.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: