Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you can boil water then you can make this! A great way to liven up plain couscous especially if you love roasted red peppers as much as i do. You may have to go to a specialty grocery to find the nicoise olives (i havent looked for them in a regular grocery- they may have them im not sure) Anyway good luck and happy cooking.
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant couscous
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves, torn in half
- 1⁄4 cup nicoise olive, pitted
- Place the couscous in a large bowl.
- Bring 2 cups of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Pour the water over couscous and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let sit for 10 min.
- Uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and zucchini and cook until lightly browned.(about 5 min)
- Add the zucchini and onion, along with the remaining ingredients to the couscous and mix well.
- Season with aditional salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.
I love this recipe for a number of reasons - it's fast, easy, yummy, and freezes ok if you leave the zucchini out or replace it with something else. I don't like olives either so I leave those out and it's still great. I also don't usually need to add the whole jar of red peppers.