From the Moosewood Restaurant! I took home an entire tray of roasted red peppers from a reception we had at work. This was the perfect recipe to use up a good portion of them. Feel free to adjust the heat to suit your tastes. The original recipe is listed below, however, I actually used LESS crushed red pepper (which is totally NOT like me) and it was perfect! This was so quick, easy and delicious!
- 6 red bell peppers, roasted, seeded and peeled or 2 (13 ounce) jars roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can canned tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- Warm oil over medium heat in large stock pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and sauté for about 15 minutes, until the onions are very soft and translucent.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the tomatoes, coconut milk, water, and the roasted red peppers.
- In batches in a blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return it to the soup pot and cook on medium heat until hot.
- Serve immediately.