Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
A special chicken dish for a special occasion. Mouth watering, sumptuous, and beautiful presentation!!
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 6 oz each
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slice prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 4-8 slice swiss cheese (or your favourite)
- 2 large roasted red peppers, each cut in half to make 4 large pieces (I used deli bought)
- 4 large fat asparagus spears
- 29.58 ml olive oil, divided
- 59.16 ml butter, divided
- 118.29-177.44 ml dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- extra asparagus spear, for garnish
- roasted red pepper, strips for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Rinse chicken breasts and dry with paper towel.
- Meanwhile, steam asparagus to tender crisp, about 3 minutes; set aside.
- One at a time place chicken breast halves between pieces of plastic wrap, inside up.
- Pound carefully with a meat mallet to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Remove top pieces of plastic wrap.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken to taste.
- Place 2 prosciutto salami slices, overlapping if necessary to completely cover chicken.
- Place Swiss cheese slices over prosciutto.
- Pat red pepper dry with paper towel and place half a roasted red pepper over cheese.
- Place one asparagus spear near one edge of pepper, roll chicken with layers around the asparagus, using the bottom piece of plastic wrap to help roll it.
- Roll as tightly as possible, use toothpicks to close if necessary.
- Repeat for all 4 breasts.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in large non stick frypan.
- Place chicken roll ups, seam side down in hot frypan, reduce heat and brown on all sides, until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken roll ups and place in 9x13-inch oven proof dish, seam side down; set aside.
- Add wine to hot frypan, deglaze pan, add remaining olive oil and butter to frypan, add basil leaves and salt and pepper to taste to frypan.
- On medium heat, simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon/pour wine/basil reduction onto chicken, be sure to get some basil leaves on each piece.
- Place dish with chicken on middle rack of 350°F degree oven, roast for 25 to 30 minutes until roll ups are heated through and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove roll ups to platter, let rest for 10 minutes.
- With a sharp knife cut each one into 4 pieces. (Cut thinner slices to use for appetizer.)
- Arrange on platter cut side up, overlapping in 4 rows.
- Spoon/pour juice from oven dish over; garnish with extra asparagus spears and strips of roasted red pepper.
- Serve warm or cold.
FIVE GIANT STARS here! I took a leap of faith, and made this for Easter dinner. I NEVER make a new recipe for dinner guests. (my guests included DD#1's future MIL!) I got raves all around the table! I omitted the prosciutto, and baked them without the frying. What a sensational dish! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing, and Bergy thank you for your beautiful photo! Oh, for my vegetarian daughters, I followed the same recipe using portabello mushrooms instead of chicken. Five stars on that, too!
Derf this recipe is heavenly - the flavor is special and it is so attractive when you cut through the breast and lay it open, you see the different colors the white of the breast, the red of theprosciutto, the green asparagus etc.. It is lovely to have the asparagus spears around and between the pieces of chicken. I class this recipe as a special "Company" recipe that is not to say I won't make it just for us too - Thanks Derf for a real winner.
It was great. Required a bit of work but was worth it. I followed the recipe exactly and was very happy with the results. Thank you!