Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 (6 inch) pita bread
- 1 cup water
- 1 small garlic clove
- 4 ounces walnut pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Roast peppers over a gas burner until blackened all over, turning with tongs as each side is blistered. (Alternatively, place under a broiler.) Transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap; let stand about 15 minutes. Peel, and discard skins, stems, and seeds. Set peppers aside.
- Toast pita bread until crisp and golden. Break into 2-inch pieces; place in a bowl, and cover with the water. Soak until soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a sieve, and drain well, pressing out excess water. Set aside.
- Combine garlic and walnut pieces in the bowl of a food processor; process until fine crumbs form, about 10 seconds. Add paprika, cumin, and reserved peppers and pita bread; process until smooth, about 10 seconds. Add vinegar, lemon juice, oil, and salt, and season with black pepper. Pulse until combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. Before serving, bring to room temperature. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with walnuts or paprika, as desired.