2 hrs 20 mins
This is a nice robust and colorful soup - packs a punch and yet has a great taste - nothing better than roasted red peppers and roasted tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large red peppers (approximately 1 1/2 - 2 lbs)
- 1360.77 g tomatoes (plum is preferable)
- 1892.72 ml chicken stock
- 44.37 ml garlic (more or less for your taste)
- 4.92 ml sun-dried tomato paste
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 118.29 ml onion (shallots or red onion finely chopped)
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes (adjust to taste or omit)
- 236.59 ml cream (optional)
- 4.92 ml salt (adjust to your taste)
- 4.92 ml pepper (fresh ground adjust to taste)
- 1Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Line 1 cookie sheet with tin foil - wash and cut tomatoes in half, arrange cut side down on cookie sheet, drizzle generously with good extra virgin olive oil, course, kosher or sea salt and a touch of ground pepper - bake until tomato peels have split and developed a nice caramelized texture. Approximately 45 - 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool, remove tomato skins.
- 3While the tomatoes are caramelizing in the oven take your red peppers and blacken them over an open gas flame or in the case you do not have gas this can also be accomplished over an electric element simply by allowing the pepper contact with the heating coil till it blackens, or you could also do this on a gas grill. Place blackened peppers in a brown paper bag and allow to cool - I always make sure I have a plastic bag on the outside as the juices from the peppers will soak through as they cool. Once cooled remove skins, tops, ribs and seeds. Do not wash.
- 4In a large soup pot add 1 tbsp olive oil add onions, garlic and sauté till onions appear clear. Add chicken stock, white wine, tomato paste, basil, tomatoes and peppers. Allow to cook for approximately 30 minutes. If you have a hand held blender, puree until a creamy texture is accomplished, or you can do this in a blender a few cups at a time being very careful not to over crowd the blender as the top will pop off with the heat. Return the pureed mixture back to the pot add pepper flakes and reduce over medium heat for 10 minutes - if desired add cream and serve!
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.2
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 651.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 9.1 g