Recipe by veraj9170
This is my ultimate comfort food on a cold day or night. It is rich and tasty with some crusty bread. ** THIS DOESN'T RECOGNIZE FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES so If you can't find pre-roasted tomatoes, just roast canned tomatoes in the oven with the peppers (reserving the juice in a bowl).
Top Review by Annacia
This is excellent, it just makes you feel warm and right with the world. I did cheat a bit by using the fire roasted red peppers that come in a glass jar but other than that I just followed the recipe. It has a great consistency and a deep well developed flavor. I server with a thick slice of toasted French bread with cheddar cheese melted on top. Perfect.
- 2 large red peppers
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium shallots
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast peppers in a 400°F oven until skin is blackened. Let rest then peel off the skin and chop.
- Briefly chop shallots and crush the garlic and sauté in medium pot with small amount of oil. Add tomatoes with juice and chopped peppers and cook on high for 15 minutes until tender.
- Add chicken stock and spices. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes. If you have an immersion blender, puree the soup to desired consistency. If you don't have immersion blender, pour into table top blender and do same, but make sure you crack the lid slightly when pureeing so it doesn't explode out! (I talk from a wall covered in soup experience!).
- *** If you like a more spicy soup, you can add chili powder to taste
- This serves 4 small bowls or for me 1 large now and 1 large bowl for later :).