Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made up this soup recipe last summer. I use Jackson-Triggs Merlot - a great Ontario wine. I used bottled roasted red peppers as I didn't have any fresh red peppers at the time. Feel free to substitute fresh roasted red peppers.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 3 tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 (1.50 g) jars roasted red peppers
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup merlot red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper
- Toss garlic, onion and tomatoes with olive oil and salt. Roast garlic, onion and tomatoes in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. When vegetables are slighly cooled, remove skin from garlic and tomatoes.
- In blender, add roasted vegetables and bottled red peppers. Blend until smooth.
- In a pot on stove, pour blended vegetable mixture. Add chicken broth, vinegar, Merlot and cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste.