Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I have tried many different bruschetta recipes and none of them quite tickled my tastebuds until I tried the recipe from Penny's Gourmet to Go. Be sure to refrigerate this at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to mix. You can use 3 (15 oz cans) chopped tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes.
- 3 sweet red peppers, roasted
- 12 -18 roma tomatoes, chopped coarsely
- 9 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 9 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- French bread or French baguette
- Roasting the Peppers:
- Place whole peppers on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes or until the skin blisters.
- Place the peppers in a paper or plastic bag to cool.
- Remove the peppers from the bag when cool and remove the skin and discard. Discard seeds.
- Chop peppers coarsely.
- Making the Topping:.
- Mix peppers, tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and basil together and refrigerate 2 hours to blend flavors.
- Once topping is cooled, slice bread to about 3/4" thick.
- Brush lightly with olive oil and toast in oven or grill.
- Top with Tomato-Pepper mix and serve.
Nice change from my normal recipe - we enjoyed the tanginess of the balsamic vinegar. Using the leftover with chicken breasts for supper tonite.
I made this recipe for over 100 people for a charity event. I made it X 10 = 122 servings.There were small serving spoons to ladle the bruschetta on to the olive oil brushed toast. Each person served themself.It is the best and easiest recipe ever. You can make in the morning if you wish and serve in the evening.