Recipe by Jeanette G
A co-worker of mine brought this soup to work and wanted me to try it. I wasn't too thrilled because I'm not too much into tomatoes. One taste and I was hooked and begged her to get me the recipe. As soon as I got the recipe I went out the same night and bought all the ingredients...it was that good. (Please note that prep time does not include soaking the sun-dried tomatoes)
Top Review by steve in FL
I made this today, following the recipe to a T and it was excellant!! This one is definately a keeper! It's very unique, and something I'd definately make for company. Straining it was a bit of a pain in the a$$, as all I had to work with was a mesh strainer and a rubber spatula but I didn't have anything else to do and it was well worth the effort. Thanks so much for posting!!
- 1 ounce sun-dried tomato (approx 8pcs-do not use the ones packed in oil)
- 1 small diced onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers
- 2 fresh ripe plum tomatoes or 2 ripe roma tomatoes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in warm water for about an hour to rehydrate them.
- Place your olive oil in a pan and add onions and cook for about 7- 10 minutes until soft but do not let them brown or turn color.
- Add in your chicken broth, drained rehydrated tomatoes, roasted red peppers, fresh tomatoes and salt and pepper and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup in a blender and process until blended very well and you have a smooth consistency.
- Pass soup through a strainer to remove all the vegetable skins.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.