William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
Tapenade is traditionally a caper-olive paste. However, adding roasted veggies not only makes it more atractive, but also lighter and more flavorful. Serve as an appetizer on pita triangles or low-fat crackers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, unpeeled and halved
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup stuffed green olive
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 (8 inch) round whole wheat pita bread, cut into triangles
- 1In a mixing bowl, toss red pepper pieces and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, coating well.
- 2Place red peppers, mushrooms and onion on a baking sheet with cut sides down.
- 3Broil on HIGH on middle rack for 20 minutes or until skins are blackened.
- 4Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- 5Peel red pepper and onion, discarding skins.
- 6Cut red pepper and onion into chunks.
- 7Place roasted vegetables, garlic, olives, vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a food processor and process until finely chopped BUT NOT PUREE'D.
- 8Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in basil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper; mix well to blend.
- 9Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve on pita triangles or crackers.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Pepper and Mushroom Tapenade
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.0
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 299.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives