Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
For this recipe I used sweet onions, a 12 oz. jar of roasted peppers in olive oil. Drain and blot peppers with paper towels to remove excess oil prior to chopping. I also added the Romano cheese on top right before baking. No need to add additional salt. Twenty minute prep time included sauteeing of the onions.
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep dish pie shell
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 4 1⁄2 ounces roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 (1 7/8 ounce) packet Knorr Leek mix
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon romano cheese, shredded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the pie shell on a cookie sheet for filling. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan. Add onions and sauté until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Empty soup mix in separate bowl and add milk and half & half. Whisk the eggs and egg whites until smooth, add to soup/milk mixture. Add white pepper, nutmeg and cayenne if using.
- Spread cooled onions in pie shell, cover with ½ C of the shredded cheese. Layer the red pepper on top of the cheese. Cover with the remaining cheese. Pour soup/egg mixture on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 degrees F and bake an additional 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.