Recipe by presvicki
"Balkan Caviar" This vegetable spread is a staple in the countries of Macedonia, Bulgaria, Serbia and Croatia although it goes by different names. Our family makes it in large batches during the summer months when the peppers and eggplants are in season and freeze in 8 oz portions to last through the winter. It is used as a condiment or dip and delicious served with Lamb and over rice. Enjoy!
- 1 eggplant, large
- 6 -8 red peppers, large
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (Hunts preferably)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 ounce red wine vinegar
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the eggplant and peel, slice, chop it into cubes then sprinkle with salt and allow to drain in colander at least 1/2 hour. Then place eggplant in Pyrex bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes, stirring 1/2 time during cooking.
- Then take the red bell peppers and wash, dry and place under the broiler turning the peppers as skin turns black on all sides (5-10 min). Remove peppers from broiler, place them into a Pyrex bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to cool. (you may use your own method of removing all the pepper skins) Remove skins, discard and seeds then place in food processor and blend 5 to 10 seconds. Add cooled eggplant and pulse processor 5 times until blended. AVOID OVER PROCESSING. Pour the blended eggplant / pepper mixture into bowl.
- Add the garlic, tomato sauce, olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add crushed red pepper flakes if desired. Stir together.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.