Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great sauce for pasta! Thanks to Patricia Lohrey. Try it, you will not be disappointed. What is not to like with roasted red peppers and bacon?!?
- 1 1⁄2 cups roasted red peppers, jarred and drained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, medium chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Puree red peppers, tomatoes, oregano, cayenne, wine, and oil in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 7 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to plate lined with paper towels. Pour off all but 2 teaspoons fat from pan and return to medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add red pepper mixture to skillet and bring to simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until flavors, meld, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream and half the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss sauce with cooked pasta and serve, sprinkling bowls with remaining bacon.
Good recipe. I roasted 4 fresh red peppers at 425F for 25 minutes because I didn't have any jarred. Once prepared I did a taste test and thought the sauce needed a bit more flavor. I added some beef bouillon granules in place of the salt. I added some paprika in addition to the ground black pepper and cayenne. I also added some garlic powder and onion powder. I served with freshly grated Parmesan. Thank you for the recipe. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.