Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
The sweetness of the onion and the flavour of the vinegar make this a hearty fall side dish. If you are using a well aged expensive balsamic vinegar the sugar may not be needed.
- 6 medium red onions, about 3" diameter
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Remove papery skin from onions, rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, in a small pan at 375 for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove onions and keep warm.
- Put water and vinegar in pan and boil 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mixture should reduce to about 1/4 cup.
- Remove from heat and add brown sugar.
- Cut onions in half and drizzle with vinegar mixture.
Good one Tebo! I cut the cooking time back to 45 minutes (Ilike the onion to still be a bit crisp) and I used sweet onions. Nice addition to the dinner
Excellent! I love roasted red onions. The balsamic reduction was the perfect thing to drizzle on them. I cut the in half wertically before roasting, so they wouldn't fall apart after roasting. This makes a great appetizer or side dish. If you're an onion-lover, this is a must try. I may add some thyme or rosemary next time. Thanx!
wonderful!!! great accompaniment to a fresh foccacia and olive oil