Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great spread for almost any sandwich. (It could probably be used for a dip or could maybe be thinned a bit for a dressing, but I've never tried it that way). I usually make a double batch and keep a jar of this in my fridge at all times for a quick and tasty sandwich spread. (I have made this both ways... with mayo or Miracle Whip. Each are yummy with different flavors). I hope you enjoy this recipe. *Note: Prep and cook times do not include cooling or refrigeration times.
- 1 medium red onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Spread roughly chopped onions out on a small rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss all together to coat and spread evenly on the pan. Roast for 25-30 minutes, checking at 20 and again at 25. Onions should be soft and starting to brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Once onions are cooled, put them into a food processor and pulse until the onions are finely chopped. Add mayo and pulse until the spread becomes incorporated. Taste for desired seasoning, adding more if desired. (If the spread sits in the fridge overnight while flavors meld, the flavor will change, so use caution on the seasonings). I recommended that you make this at least 8 hours before using for best taste.
- Enjoy on anything that you like mayo spread on.
This was quite tasty, I reduced the quantity to make enough for two burgers, because the burgers were well seasoned I skipped the salt.This was a great way to get nice onion flavor without adding more bulk to a burger. made for PRMRT
This was delicious as a sandwich spread but even more delicious after it sat for awhile. Love the roasted onion flavor. Thanks!