1/5 Photos of Roasted Red Lentil Soup
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
This lentil soup is done in more of an Asian style than some of the others. Goes well with chapatis or pooris and a light salad. Recipe by Nancie McDermott.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds or 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups uncooked red lentils (masoor dal)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2 cups finely chopped carrots
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup diced tomato (may used canned)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Heat the mustard seeds and cumin seeds in the oil in a soup pot, stirring constantly, just until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- 2Lower heat and add sesame seeds.
- 3Cook until the sesame seeds become golden, then add garlic, curry powder, cumin, ginger, and pepper, stirring just until fragrant.
- 4Add the lentils and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the onions, celery and carrots, and cook for 1 minute more.
- 6Add broth and water, and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, 30-35 minutes, or until lentils are soft and mash easily with the back of a spoon.
- 8Add the tomatoes and salt and cook another 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9Check and adjust for seasoning before serving.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.2
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 408.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 14.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: