Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here is a good recipe for Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup, based on a dish served at the Red Devil Restaurant in Newmarket, Ontario, Canada. Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 6 cups tomatoes, chopped (2 - 28 oz. cans, undrained)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock base
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup 35% cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 sprig fresh basil (for garnish)
- Grill the peppers, turning frequently, until bla ckened all over.
- Peel off the skin.
- Gently wipe or scrape off any remaining black stuff from the outside. Cut open and discard seeds and white insides.
- Do not wash as this will flush away much of the flavour.
- Puree peppers and tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
- Strain out seeds.
- Place pepper/tomato mixture in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except butter and basil.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Set pan in ice water and gradually whisk in butter.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, heat gently, garnish with basil and serve. Note: This soup is quite mild.
- Some people might like to add a little zing, like maybe a dash of Tabasco.
- Dave Newcombe reply:daven at primeline dot net.
Simple and delicious. I used a large jar of roasted red peppers as I didn't want to go through all of the hassle of roasting them. I also used fat free half-and-half instead of cream, and only used 2 tbsp. of butter. The results were fantastic. Served with homemade rolls, my hubby raved over this! Will be making this again--thanks for posting!
This was great!!! When roasting & peeling the red peppers I thought this is a pain I'm not going to make this again---when we ate it the next day I was like hey this was worth it LOL Dh loved it & wanted to take me straight back to the farmers market for more tomatoes & red peppers LOL