Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
In Los Angeles, my cousin made variations of this every single night and it is the best combination of flavors for a pasta that I have ever had! Everyone I have made it for has begged me to make it again and again... but always use SHREDDED parmesan! (Great with French Bread)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (15 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 2 (12 ounce) packages penne pasta
- 1 (12 ounce) containershredded parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- onion powder, to taste
- garlic, to taste
- Heat olive oil on medium to high heat in large skillet or wok.
- Add mushrooms, onions and all seasonings and saute for 15 to 20 minutes (Stir-fry style).
- Meanwhile, slice roasted red bell peppers as desired.
- Add the peppers to onions and mushrooms and continue to saute for another 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta and drain.
- Toss contents of skillet in with pasta and the parmesan cheese (I always serve more parmesan in a separate bowl as well).
Yummy and satisfying! I wanted to make this a main dish, so I added some shrimp and crab in with the peppers. What a fantastic blending of flavors! Thank you for providing the perfect recipe for my Valentine's Day dinner.
I was skeptical, I will admit, because this is really easy and simple. I didn't add any ingredients I just messed with amounts. I used my own roasted bell peppers and a TON of fresh garlic (like 4 huge cloves) because I love it and less Parmesan cheese. It was FABULOUS! If you used canned roasted bell peppers I bet the pepper flavor would be even stronger which is good, but home roasted are great too. Make it now! Really. Super easy, super healthy (if you use whole wheat and good EVOO and no processed ingredients) and super yummy. I am always looking for a non tomato based pasta dish and I will be adding this to my regular rotation, like other reviews said too! Way to go Che~Sara`.
I included broccoli, parsley, oregano and chicken for DH (the carnivore). It was very satisfying and the colors were beautiful. The best thing was that I ate it cold for lunch the next two days and it was even better! Thanks.