Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe came from sallybernstein.com
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 cups chickpeas, canned, cooked and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, fresh minced
- 1 cup tahini
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, fresh minced
- Place the whole peppers in an oven-proof skillet and set them to cook in a preheated 450°F oven. Turn the peppers every 10 minutes. Roast them for approximately 30 minutes or until the skins have blackened. Place the roast peppers directly from the oven into paper bag and seal it closed.
- Allow the peppers to rest for 10 minutes in the bag, this will loosen their skins. Remove the peppers from the bag and while holding them under cool running water, peel away the black skins and remove the stems and seeds; all that should remain is the flesh of the roast peppers.
- Combine the roast peppers, chickpeas and garlic in a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the tahini, lemon, paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper; puree another minute until the mixture is very smooth.
- To serve: place the hummus on a large plate that has been lined with lettuce leaves. Make an indentation in the center of the hummus and pour in the olive oil. Sprinkle the parsley across the hummus and serve with flatbread or pita.
I liked the roasted red pepper in this, but did have to tweak it for our taste. The changes I made were: less chili powder and lemon juice, but more olive oil, roasted red pepper and cayenne. I also thinned it with reserved garbanzo liquid to get to the consistency we wanted. Overall, a good recipe - thanks for posting! For ZWT9.
Yummy if you like this type of hummus. I did cut the heat a little per preference. I used sea salt, to taste plus the rest of the ingredients. Served with store bought Mediterranean lentil chips. Made for Topic Reply Notification - Please Review My Recipe ~ ~ ~ from February 14th ~%u200F