Recipe by Peasant'sHearth
Buying bottled roasted peppers can be very expensive, but if you buy them fresh in season, when they are cheap, you can roast them yourself and freeze them for later.
Top Review by karen in tbay
I buy the red peppers by the case in the fall and do them directly on the bbq, cool a bit and bag them as is for the freezer.(About 4 to a bag) When I need them, defrost a bit and the blackened skin slips off so easily.Deseed and cut in desired size. It is important to completely char the outside of the peppers.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your broiler.
- Place the whole peppers on a baking sheet covered with foil.
- Place them under the broiler, about 6 to 10 inches from the heat source.
- Turn the peppers frequently until the skin begins to blacken.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and put them in a paper grocery bag and fold down the top. This allows the peppers to steam, and to cool.
- When cool, wash off the blackened skin.
- You can use them at once or freeze them by placing them in layers between wax paper.