Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
The dumplings make this a very hearty and healthy meal. A good way to get your veggies!
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 red peppers, halved and cut into chunky slices
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 pinch sugar
For the Dumplings
- 125 g self-raising flour, plus a bit extra
- 50 g butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 liter hot vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 200 C or 375 F.
- Put the onion, garlic, peppers, courgettes and aubergine in a roasting tin and mix them all together.
- Drizzle with oil and season well with plenty of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and stir.
- Return to the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings.
- Put the flour, butter, parsley and thyme in a bowl and season well.
- Add 6-7 tbs cold water and mix together with a knife.
- Dust your hands with a little flour and shape the mixture into four dumplings.
- Bring the stock to a boil, then turn down the heat.
- Add the dumplings and poach gently for five minutes, turning once with a slotted spoon.
- Sppon the rataouille into four ovenproof dishes and put a dumpling in each dish.
- Put the ratatouille and dumplings in the oven for 10 minutes, until the dumplings are lightly browned.