Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This is one of the recipes I posted in my blog, A Slice of Life... Sour, Bitter, Salty, Sweet http://sourbittersaltysweet.blogspot.com/. Ratatouille a French classic and is one of my favourite vegetarian dishes. I love the vibrant and fresh flavours of it. It reminds me of bright sunny summer days when vegetables are at the peak of their goodness. This is my version of ratatouille, marinated over-night and roasted in high heat then sprinkled with fresh herbs.
- 1 large italian eggplant, cubed
- 2 baby zucchini, cut in circles
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 large yellow pepper, cut in strips
- 1 large sweet variety onion, cubed
- 1 large fennel bulb, reserve the fronds, cut fennel in bite-sized pieces
- handful fresh basil leaf, torn in half
- handful fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch thyme
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 tablespoons good quality balsamic vinegar (or crema di balsamico)
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 olive anchovies packed in oil, finely chopped
- 1 pinch dried greek oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch of italian dried pepper
- 1 pinch fleur de sel
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, finely grated
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a non reactive mixing bowl. Whisk to combine a paste. Adjust the consistency by adding more olive oil.
- Combine all of the prepared and cut vegetables except for the fennel fronds, italian parsley and basil in a large non reactive container.
- Pour the marinade on the vegetables, toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate overnight or marinate for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, drain all the liquid. If the vegetables have been marinated overnight, the paste will stick to the vegetables so you won’t be throwing that precious marinade. If the vegetables are not marinated overnight, skip this step.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Spread the vegetables to a cookie sheet, you may have to use two of them. Roast for 30-45 minutes. Take out of the oven and generously sprinkle with the fresh herbs. Adjust salt and pepper if you want. Serve with bread, rice or couscous.