Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is based on a recipe from the book, Venison, Recipes from the Readers of Sports Afield, a book my DH and I purchased recently at LL Beans in Freeport, Maine. Henry Sinkus, its editor says, "Simple and elegant, serve with fresh vegetables and steamed potatoes." Even in Maine this isn't a cheap dish -- we serve it around the holidays.
- 3 lbs rack of venison (8-bones)
- 3 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce (mild or hot)
Dry Rub Mix
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine dry rub ingredients. Store unused portions for later use.
- Brush wing sauce over venison rack, and dust with dry rub mix.
- Place venison rack in shallow bowl or pan. Cover and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On an outdoor grill heated to medium-high, cook the venison rack for 2 minutes per side, turning each side a quarter turn each minute.
- Place the rack in a baking dish and roast in oven for 15 minutes for medium-rare ribs.
- After removing from oven, allow rack to rest 10 to 12 minutes before carving.