Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 min
This rich, thick vegetable soup goes well with freshly-made tasty blue cheese bread.
Make and share this Roasted Pumpkin Soup With Blue Cheese Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 2⁄3 lbs pumpkin, peeled, cut into chunks
- 6 large tomatoes, halved
- 1 onion, thickly sliced
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
For the bread
- 8 ounces whole wheat flour
- 8 ounces plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 4 ounces blue cheese, cubed, plus a little extra for crumbling
- 1 1⁄4-2 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Place the pumpkin, tomatoes and onion in a roasting tin, tuck in the rosemary and drizzle on the oil.
- Roast for 40 minutes until slightly blackened. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, sift the flours into a mixing bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda.
- Stir in the cheese cubes and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly.
- Shape into a round loaf and score a cross into the top. Place the loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until brown.
- Just before the end of the cooking time, sprinkle on the crumbled cheese.
- Once the vegetables are cool blend them until smooth with the vegetable stock. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat through. Stir in the cream, making sure that the soup does not boil.
- Serve a bowl of soup with a chunk of the bread.