Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Next time you carve pumpkins or cook fresh pumpkins don't throw out the pumpkin seeds. They make great snacks that are rich in fiber and kids love them. Purists will want only salt as a seasoning, but if you're feeling adventurous, experiment and have fun with seasoning blends. (From Fabulous Foods)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons melted butter (olive oil or vegetable oil work well) or 2 teaspoons melted oil (olive oil or vegetable oil work well)
- garlic powder (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- seasoning salt (optional)
- cajun seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- While it's OK to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor) clean off any major chunks.
- Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.
- Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
These are delicious! We carved three medium sized pumpkins tonight and ended up with about 3 cups of seeds so I doubled the butter (actually I used margarine) and we seasoned with about 2 teaspoons garlic powder and 2 teaspoons of seasoned salt. We cooked them for 15 minutes then took them out and stirred them and we repeated this twice so they cooked just perfectly in about 45 minutes total baking time. Thanks for a great recipe!
Yummy scrummy in my tummy! Throwing out pumpkin seeds should be a crime with tasty recipes like this around. We added a bit of chilli powder for a slightly spicy seed. They were gone in minutes. Next time we need a bigger pumpkin!
Mirj. you have made me one happy lady tonight!! For years my pumpkin seeds never taste like my moms and I always follow her recipe but seem to enjoy hers much better...until now :-) DH, DD and I are all fighting over these seeds, they turned out wonderful, they have the perfect taste, they are nice and crispy but not too well done. I have never used olive oil before when making pumpkin seeds but you bet I will be from now on. DH and DD want me to go buy 2 more pumpkins just for the seeds. Such a simple recipe that I could never get right, thanks to your recipe it is better then right!!