1/1 Photo of Roasted Pumpkin - Cider Soup
2 hrs 20 mins
I adopted this recipe after Mean Chef (IHHDRO) left the site. My original review comments stated, "I had a nice butternut squash in my pantry that begged to be made into this soup. It was heavenly. Even my hubby, who really likes "manly" foods had 2 bowls of this soup. LOL Roasting the veggies brings out their best essence. The flavors meld perfectly and provide a rich and substantial soup. I did use a bit more onion, and didn't add the creme fraiche when serving. Still, this soup was tops. It is essential to a good fall menu." Source: "The New England Cookbook"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 lbs sugar pumpkin or 4 1/2 lbs hubbard squash or 4 1/2 lbs butternut squash
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large onion, cut in large chunks
- 3 large carrots, cut in large chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cut pumpkin in half and scoop out seeds.
- 3Place in shallow roasting pan, cut sides up.
- 4Divide butter and brown sugar among cavities.
- 5Arrange onion, carrots,garlic and apple around pumpkin.
- 6Sprinkle with rosemary and salt and pepper.
- 7Pour 2 cups of stock around vegetables and cover pan with foil.
- 8Roast until vegetables are very soft and caramelized, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 9Scoop pumpkin out of skin.
- 10Squeeze garlic out of skin.
- 11Process in food processor, in batches if necessary, adding enough stock to achieve a smooth puree.
- 12(Can be made to this point and refrigerated for 2 days).
- 13Transfer puree to a large saucepan and whisk in cider.
- 14Add as much of remaining stock as necessary to achieved desired consistency.
- 15Season with mace and ginger.
- 16Bring to boil, whisking, and simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- 17Re season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- 18Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of creme fraiche.
Browse Our Top Thanksgiving Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thanksgiving Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Pumpkin - Cider Soup
Serving Size: 1 (837 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.4
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 66.1 mg
- Sodium 442.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 11.7 g