Cook1 hr 15 mins
A great soup that is very seasonal, and makes for an excellent presentation. Get ready to serve this and stand back for the ooooohs of admiration.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and strings.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Use a fork to create vent holes all around the sweet potato.
- Wrap the sweet potato in foil and place with the pumpkin on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for one hour and ten minutes, or until both the pumpkin and the sweet potato are tender enough to pierce easily with a fork.
- Remove the pumpkin and sweet potato from the oven and allow to cool.
- Remove the skin from the shallots and dice them finely.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a sautª pan over a medium flame.
- "Sweat"the shallots by covering with foil and then topping the pan with a close-fitting lid.
- After 1-2 minutes, remove the cover and foil, and add the curry powder.
- Saute for an additional minute, then remove from heat.
- Scoop the flesh from both the pumpkin and the sweet potato and place in a food processor.
- Add the curried shallots, the remaining spices, and one cup of the chicken stock.
- Puree until smooth.
- Thin with the remaining chicken stock until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve hot, garnished with chervil, if desired.