Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This sounds like it will be good, with sweet potatoes and brown rice. I might make it with couscous or quinoa as well. From cooking light. cal - 200, fat 2.5g (sat 0.4) Carb 38.8 Serve with pork chops, roasts, chicken.
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin (1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed. about 1 medium)
- cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange pumpkin and sweet potato in an even layer on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 35 minutes or until tender and veggies just begin to brown. Stir after 18 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, celery and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Add broth and remaining ingredients to onion mixture, stirring to mix. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes until rice is done and liquid absorbed. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf. Add pumpkin mixture stir gently to combine.
I was very excited to try this dish after I saw it in Cooking Light, and I was surprised that there wasn't a more pronounced flavor. I think that a flavor other than sage might work better in this dish, maybe some Moroccan spices like cinnamon, cardamom and ginger. Overall, it was a nice side dish for fall when pumpkin and sweet potato are in season.
This is a wonderfully seasoned dish. My fresh pumpkin became another sweet potato (long story). This was served with pork ribs and recipe #261583.
This is more than good, it is a savory bite of fall with a wonderful melange of flavors and textures. Loved the mix of carmelized potatoes and squash with the nuttiness of the brown rice. I used calabazza squash instead of pumpkin and otherwise followed the recipe. Easy to pull together and worthy of a holiday or company meal.