Recipe by kitchenslave03
From Cooking Light.
Top Review by MargoH
These are fine roasted potatos with a spicy kick, but not transcendent. Toasting the spices in oil first seems like an unnecessary step since they all get mixed together and heated in the pan. I've tried it both ways and haven't tasted a difference.
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 lbs small red potatoes, halved, about 8 c
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 6 dried red chilies
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 8 lime wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine 1 T oil and potatoes, tossing to coat. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil, mustard seeds, and chiles in a large skillet over med-high. Cook 1 1/2 min or til seeds begin to pop. Reduce heat to med-low. Add ginger, garlic, and jalapeno to pan; cook 1 min, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, turmeric, and garam masala; cook 1 min, stirring constantly. Add spice mixture to potatoes; tossing to coat. Arrange potatoes in a single layer in a 13x9 inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 for 40 min or til tender and browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, mint and juice. Serve with lime wedges.