Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Another recipe, untried by me, found on Greeting India that I am posting for ZWT. It calls for fenugreek seeds, which I haven't seen in my local grocery store, so if you can't find it, could double the mustard seeds, as it is a recommended substitute.
- 5 potatoes
- 59.14 ml coriander, chopped
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 2.46 ml ginger, grated
- 4.92 ml garlic, grated
- 1.23 ml turmeric powder
- 4.92 ml cumin powder
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin seed
- 4.92 ml mustard seeds
- 4.92 ml fenugreek seeds
- 59.16 ml olive oil (or canola)
- 1. Cut potatoes into medium dice.
- 2. Grease a sheet pan with 1 tbsp of oil, spread potatoes evenly on the pan, and roast in the oven until a fork pieces easily but potatoes remain firm. (alternative: potatoes may simply be boiled in their skins and then chopped)
- 3. If desired, peel potatoes after they have cooled slightly.
- 4. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan. Add turmeric, chili powder, mustard seeds, cumin powder, fenugreek seeds, and cumin seeds. Toast lightly.
- 5. Add onion and the remainder of the oil. Lower the heat on the pan to medium.
- 6. Add the potatoes to the pan, stiring gently to coat them with the spices.
- 7. Warm the potatoes through on high heat, taking care not to break them. (about 3 minutes)
- 8. Garnish with coriander, serve hot with rice, parathas or rotis.
Such a great blend of herbs and spices. I love it. Well, I love roasted potatoes to begin with, so this is just another great recipe in order to enjoy those roasted potatoes. It's also in great demand, so I'm going to have to maek them again next week!
It's amazing what great seasoning can do for the humble potato. While this recipe takes some time it's not spent working so it's quite easy. I used the same spice mix to rub center cut pork chops and baked them along side the potatoes (not in the same pan) and had simple cooked kale as our green. Great dinner.
This dish is easy, but has a wonderfully complex flavor. I recommend using the fenugreek seeds if you can find them; they add a wonderful exotic fragrance and taste (though slightly on the bitter side). Thanks for posting! Made for the Lively Lemon Lovelies, ZWT8.