Cook1 hr 15 mins
Another recipe, untried by me, found on Greeting India that I am posting for ZWT. It calls for fenugreek seeds, which I haven't seen in my local grocery store, so if you can't find it, could double the mustard seeds, as it is a recommended substitute.
- 5 potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup coriander, chopped
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or canola)
- 1. Cut potatoes into medium dice.
- 2. Grease a sheet pan with 1 tbsp of oil, spread potatoes evenly on the pan, and roast in the oven until a fork pieces easily but potatoes remain firm. (alternative: potatoes may simply be boiled in their skins and then chopped)
- 3. If desired, peel potatoes after they have cooled slightly.
- 4. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan. Add turmeric, chili powder, mustard seeds, cumin powder, fenugreek seeds, and cumin seeds. Toast lightly.
- 5. Add onion and the remainder of the oil. Lower the heat on the pan to medium.
- 6. Add the potatoes to the pan, stiring gently to coat them with the spices.
- 7. Warm the potatoes through on high heat, taking care not to break them. (about 3 minutes)
- 8. Garnish with coriander, serve hot with rice, parathas or rotis.