Recipe by MNLisaB
This is a superb and unusual potato salad that calls for roasted garlic, potatoes and peppers. No mayo! You've got to try it!
Top Review by flower7
This potato salad tastes great and is easy to prepare. I added two of the optional items: goat cheese and toasted pine nuts. I did have to add some more salt after the veggies were done cooking. And what an easy method for roasting garlic! I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks MNLisaB!
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 lbs small boiling potatoes, cut in half (white, red or fingerling)
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To roast vegetables: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap peeled garlic cloves together in foil with a few drops of olive oil and put in oven for the same time you will be roasting the peppers and potatoes, around 35 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half and cut red peppers into half inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes, bell peppers and 3 TBS olive oil, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange potatoes and bell peppers in one layer, divided amongst 2 shallow baking pans.
- Roast in the middle and lower third of the oven, switching positions of the pans halfway through the roasting time, for a total of 35 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and tender.
- To make salad: After potatoes are done,remove pans from oven and immediately toss roasted potatoes and peppers with 2 TBS balsamic vinegar.
- Cool and remove garlic from foil.
- Squeeze cloves into a small bowl and mash with a fork with remaining 1/2 TBS olive oil and 1 TBS balsamic vinegar.
- Toss together with potatoes and peppers.
- Just before serving, add fresh basil.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Optional items you could add for a main dish meal: goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, grilled chicken, grilled tuna, etc.