This is a superb and unusual potato salad that calls for roasted garlic, potatoes and peppers. No mayo! You've got to try it!
- To roast vegetables: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wrap peeled garlic cloves together in foil with a few drops of olive oil and put in oven for the same time you will be roasting the peppers and potatoes, around 35 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half and cut red peppers into half inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss potatoes, bell peppers and 3 TBS olive oil, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange potatoes and bell peppers in one layer, divided amongst 2 shallow baking pans.
- Roast in the middle and lower third of the oven, switching positions of the pans halfway through the roasting time, for a total of 35 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and tender.
- To make salad: After potatoes are done,remove pans from oven and immediately toss roasted potatoes and peppers with 2 TBS balsamic vinegar.
- Cool and remove garlic from foil.
- Squeeze cloves into a small bowl and mash with a fork with remaining 1/2 TBS olive oil and 1 TBS balsamic vinegar.
- Toss together with potatoes and peppers.
- Just before serving, add fresh basil.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Optional items you could add for a main dish meal: goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, grilled chicken, grilled tuna, etc.
This potato salad tastes great and is easy to prepare. I added two of the optional items: goat cheese and toasted pine nuts. I did have to add some more salt after the veggies were done cooking. And what an easy method for roasting garlic! I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks MNLisaB!