Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is for a great soup by the Barefoot Contessa Ina Garten in her new book Back to Basics. The secret is the crunchy shallots so make sure to try making them as well. See Crispy Shallots ( Ina Garten Back to Basics) as well for that- well worth it. Enjoy ChefDLH
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts, cleaned of all sand (4 leeks)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, plus extra for serving
- 6 -7 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra (to garnish)
- crispy shallot (see under separate Crispy Shallots ( Ina Garten Back to Basics) Crisy Shallots for it ) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the potatoes and leeks on a sheet pan in a single layer. Add the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss to coat the vegetables evenly. Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning them with a spatula a few times during cooking, until very tender. Add the arugula and toss to combine. Roast for 4-5 more minutes, until the arugula is wilted. Remove the pan from the oven and place over two burners. Stir in the wine and 1 cup of the chicken stock and cook over low heat, scraping up any crispy roasted bits sticking to the pan.
- In batches, transfer the roasted vegetables to a food processor fitted with the steel blade, adding the pan liquid and about 5 cups of the chicken stock to make a puree. Pour the puree into a large pot or Dutch oven. Continue to puree the vegetables in batches until they're all done and combined in the large pot. Add enough of the remaining 1 to 2 cups of stock to make a thick soup. Add the cream, cream fraiche, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and check the seasonings.
- When ready to serve, reheat the soup gently and whisk in 2 tablespoons white wine and the Parmesan cheese. Serve hot with an extra grating of Parmesan cheese and Crispy Shallots, if using.