Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicate and lean, pork tenderloin is an excellent cut that can be roasted whole or sliced into medallions. This recipe will allow you to prepare the rest of the meal while the tenderloin is roasting in the oven. I like to serve this with sauteed apple slices, sweet potato cakes and haricotes vert with walnuts.
- 3 lbs pork tenderloin, whole
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Place a rack in a roasting pan, spray with nonstick spray, and place in oven.
- Remove any excess fat or silverskin from the tenderloin.
- Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Sear the tenderloin until it is golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tenderloin and place it on the rack in the roasting pan.
- Roast to the desired doneness.
- (Pork is safely cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 160*f) This will take approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- while the tenderloin is roasting, return the saute pan to medium heat.
- Add the garlic and shallots; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until slightly browned.
- Add the mustard, honey, vinegar, thyme, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until the mixture reduces to a sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Remove the tenderloins from the oven and let stand 5 to 10 minutes, before slicing.
- Carefully skim and discard the fat from the pan juices.
- Pour the degreased pan juices into the sauce.
- Bring the sauce to a boil again, reduce the heat and simmer until it is slightly reduced again.
- Serve the pork sliced with the warm honey-mustard sauce.