Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my favorite way to cook a pork shoulder roast. Very tender and delicious! This recipe came from the "Paula Deen Cooking Show" (Food Network). I've changed the prep procedure to make it easier and reduced the sprinkled on salt mixture to 1/4 of the original amount called for in the print-out version of the recipe (Think it was posted wrong!) ENJOY!!!
- 4 -5 lbs pork shoulder (bone in)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke, found in grocery store (hickory or mesquite)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub roast well on all sides with liquid smoke.
- Combine salt, garlic powder and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- Add 1 Tbs of the above mixture to the seasoned salt and sprinkle this mixture on all sides of roast---You may not need to use it all, use your own judgement.
- Place roast in a large roasting pan or dutch oven---add the onion, water (pour around roast, not over it) and bay leaves.
- Cover, place in oven and cook for 2 1/2- 3 hours, or until internal temperature of meat is 170 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and pan-- let roast cool for a few minutes.
- Slice meat or shred as for pulled pork (I usually do half sliced and half pulled).
- Serve on bread or buns with your favorite BBQ sauce or coat bread or buns with mayonnaise.
Wow this was AWSOME!! I did not use liquid smoke though since my DH doesn't care for smoked food. But I can say that it was fall off the bone tender and it left so many pan dripping that I made and absolutely wonderful gravy from it! I will make this again and again for sure!! Thanks Rick :)
Quick, easy and so delicious! I had a 10 pound roast so I got a lot of mileage out of this recipe and even got to freeze some for a quick and delicious meal later. This is a definite keeper!
Very good. Loved the liquid smoke. Great pulled pork! Great Sandwiches! Will be keeping this one! Followed recipe as stated.