Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
At the Princeville Hotel on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai, a mixture of dried and fresh fruits is used to fill the pork. Begin preparing this dish one day before serving. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds delish. Cooking times do not include marinating overnight.
- 4 cups dry sherry
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄2 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- whole black peppercorn
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin, trimmed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup peeled pitted mango, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup papaya, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine 2 cups Sherry, cinnamon stick, lemon juice and peel in medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Add prunes and apricots.
- Simmer until fruits are tender and mixture thickens slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Combine 2 cups Sherry, peppercorns and cloves in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool marinade to room temperature.
- Using sharp knife, make lengthwise cut down center of pork, cutting 3/4 of the way through.
- Open as for book.
- Sprinkle cut side with some of onion.
- Close pork.
- Place in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining onion.
- Pour marinade over.
- Cover pork and fruit separately; chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Drain any liquid from fruit mixture; reserve liquid, discarding cinnamon stick.
- Stir mango, papaya and sugar into fruit mixture.
- Discard pork marinade; pat pork dry.
- Open pork as for book.
- Season inside with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 2/3 cup fruit mixture down center of pork; reserve remaining fruit mixture.
- Fold pork over, enclosing filling.
- Tie pork in several places with kitchen string to keep filling in place.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add pork and cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to large roasting pan.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 160°F., about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Place pork on platter; reserve pan juices.
- Tent pork with foil and let stand 20 minutes.
- Mix reserved liquid from fruit, remaining fruit and reserved pan juices in heavy small saucepan.
- Bring to simmer.
- Slice pork; serve with fruit sauce.