Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are awesome! Especially when I was able to use Maldonado's pernil (roast pork) that she cooked last Sunday, she is new here in So Fl she still cooks the authentic Puerto Rican way with the lime, lemon and sour oranges, it is a miracle that there was anything leftover. Here is the sandwich using her pernil. A great combination of flavors! Found on Everyday Food, 06/07.
- 8 slices crsipy cooked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 4 scallions, minced
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 12 slices whole wheat bread or 12 slices seven-grain bread, lightly toasted
- 3⁄4 lb pulled roast pork
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup alfalfa sprout
- 8 slices swiss cheese, thin slices (3-4 oz)
- In a small bowl mix mayonnaise and scallions; season with salt, crushed red pepper flakes & pepper.
- Place bread on a work surface spreaad one side of each slice with mayonnaise mixture.
- Layer 4 slices with pulled pork and avocado; layer 4 other slices with sprouts, bacon and cheese.
- To assemble sandwiches, stack layers; top each with 1 remaining slice.
- Spear sandwiches with toothpicks; then halve with serrated knife.