Michelle Minicucci's Note:
This is something I whipped up one night with cans I had in the pantry. Try different pepper/bean combinations. For instance, red pepper and great northern beans; poblanos and black eyed peas. It seems like a lot of steps, but time went quickly as I used prepared ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to broil.
- 2Wash peppers and cut in half. Remove seeds and stems.
- 3Cut onion in half. Peel 1/2 onion in layers and place on sheet of aluminum foil with halves of peppers (skin side up).
- 4Spray with olive oil and broil until skins turn black and start to bubble. Remove peppers and onions with tongs and place in plastic bag.
- 5Let these steam in bag while you dice reserved onion and celery, then peel peppers. (I rub them between my hands while wearing rubber gloves).
- 6Heat olive oil on medium and add celery and diced onion. Saute until onions are translucent, approx 3-4 minutes.
- 7In the meantime, dice broiled onions and peppers - add to onion and celery mix.
- 8Drain can of beans into bowl and save 1/4 cup liquid from can. Rinse beans and add to vegetables in pot.
- 9Toss beans and veggies with oregano, garlic and cumin, heat for one minute.
- 10Add cans of tomatoes with juice. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 11Remove 2 cups of vegetables from soup. Pour remainder of soup into food processor to cool slightly.
- 12Pour can of vegetable broth and saved bean liquid into soup pot. Heat on medium as you puree vegetables in food processor.
- 13Turn puree through food mill into broth and combine with reserved vegetables (food mill is not absolutely necessary, but gave it a really silky texture).
- 14Heat through, approx 5 minutes and serve warm. This is delicious on a bed of rice or whole grains.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Poblano and Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 522.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: