1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
Looks yummy... haven't tried it yet, though. Courtesy of Zola Gorgon.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 plum tomatoes
- olive oil, for drizzle
- 16 ounces spicy V8 vegetable juice (or other tomato juice)
- 1/2 red pepper, cut into dice
- 1/2 green pepper, cut into dice
- 6 scallions, diced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Tabasco sauce
- 4 slices bakery bread (An Italian loaf will do nicely.)
- butter (to coat the bread slices)
- 1 (1 lb) can lump king crab meat (Open, drain and put the crab in the refrigerator until the soup is ready.)
- 1Spray the bottom of a heatproof pan with olive oil. Cut plum tomatoes in half lengthwise and lay them in the pan. Sixteen halves fit nicely in a 9- by 13-inch pan. Drizzle the whole lot with olive oil. A teaspoon or less per tomato will do it.
- 2Roast the tomatoes one hour at 500°F At 45 minutes you can check them, but unless they are really small tomatoes, they will not burn. You want to take them out just when a few of them are starting to get a char on the edges. The longer they are in there, the more intense the flavor will be.
- 3Puree in a blender. You can leave a few chunks if you want, but this won't take long to get a nice puree. Set aside to cool.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, put the V8, the red and green peppers, the scallions, honey, garlic, vinegar, cumin, parsley and salt. Add the pureed tomatoes and stir. Taste. Add Tabasco or hot sauce to taste. (A teaspoon or two should do it. If your guests like it hotter, place the Tabasco on the table so they can add more.)
- 5You can put the soup in your refrigerator to chill and serve later, or you can serve it room temperature now.
- 6For the Open-Face Crab Sandwich: When you are just about ready to serve, you are going to prepare your floating, open-face crab sandwich.
- 7Butter your bread slices on one side. Place them on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 7 minutes or until very lightly golden on the buttered side. Flip them over and toast for 3 minutes more.
- 8Spoon the soup into shallow bowls. Place the toasted bread on top in the middle of the soup and then pile one quarter of the crab on top of each person's bread slice. It's a sizeable handful. A few pieces will fall off into the soup. That's fine. The soup will be room temperature or cold, the bread will be warm and the crab will be ice cold from the refrigerator. The juxtaposition of the temperatures makes this a very interesting dish.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Plum Tomato Gazpacho With Lump King Crab
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.0
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 1581.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 26.6 g