Recipe by KlynnPadilla
Use very dark ripe plantains for this yummy dessert. This is also good with peaches or nectarines (peel, halve and core; increase temp. to 500, sprinkle with a little sugar and roast about 20 minutes). Use 100% goat's milk cajeta if you can find it (try Mexican markets; around here the carnicerias have a pretty good selection of goods).
- 4 medium plantains, very ripe
- 1⁄2 cup cajeta mexican caramel sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450. Cut the ends off each plantain and make a shallow cut through the skin on the inner curved side. Roast on a baking sheet about 20 minutes. They should be softened completely.
- Meanwhile, toast the nuts and coconut (if using) in a dry skillet until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Warm the cajeta in a small saucepan over low heat or in the microwave.
- When the plantains are finished roasting, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Peel and slice, drizzle with cajeta, sprinkle with nuts/coconut, and dig in!