Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bon Appetit, March 2005. Tumeric and saffron gives this salsa a golden hue.
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cut crosswise into 1-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 serrano chilies, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch saffron
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Toss pineapple slices, 1/2 T oil, honey, and tumeric in large bowl to coat.
- Transfer mixture to rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast pineapple until beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Cool.
- Chop pineapple, including core, into 1/3-inch cubes. Mix pineapple (about 2 1/2 cups) with remaining 1 1/2 T oil and all remaining ingredients in large bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour for saffron to soften. Cover salsa; refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Stir salsa and serve.