Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Okay, I know it sounds gross...but, trust me, it only sounds that way!! This traditional Mennonite recipe comes from the Mennonite Community Cookbook that was given to me as a gift. Amounts can vary, since the stomach should be tightly stuffed. I usually use 1 lb bulk sausage and 1 lb. turkey sausage. Sometimes to make this very simple, I buy the hash brown shredded potatoes with onion and peppers. I have never used cabbage, but am sure it's good with that in it too. One of my favorite ways to eat sausage; great with a side salad or fresh green beans. TIP: Since pig stomach is not sold everywhere, you may need to pre-order your pig stomach with your butcher.
- Make a filling of sausage(s), diced potatoes, chopped onion, pepper and cabbage.
- Add seasonings and mix well.
- Wash stomach well. Drain and fill stomach with stuffing.
- Close opening of stomach securely by "sewing" together using toothpicks.
- Place stuffed stomach in a roasting pan with enough water in pan to cover bottom and bake at 350F for approximately 3 hours - stomach should be brown (like a done turkey!).
- Slice and serve.