Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I don't know what's better, the dish or the look you get when you say that's what you're serving. We always loved when Mom served up Pig Stomach. I have adapted this recipe from the Mennonite Cookbook. Consider the stomach to be the "delivery vehicle" and experiment with the seasonings ... follow the recipe for a traditional PA Dutch dish.
- 1 pig stomach
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sausage (bulk not links)
- 1 quart raw potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- If not already done, remove inner lining from stomach and discard. (I buy my stomachs ready-to-use from the butcher or meat counter.).
- Rinse stomach well and place in bowl.
- Cover with 1 quart of water and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Let soak for 2 hours.
- Mix all remaining ingredients well.
- Drain and rinse stomach well.
- Fill stomach with stuffing.
- Sew openings and holes securely with cotton thread.
- Place stomach in roasting pan with water to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350F for approximately 3 hours adding water as necessary to keep the bottom of the pan covered.
- Slice and serve with gravy made from pan drippings.
I grew up and live in PA Dutch country and this had always been my favorite meal...the one I chose every year for my birthday meal. We had a gathering and I served this recipe today. There was literally nothing left...people came back for thirds! It is an excellent recipe. To note: I used Italian sausage (gives it extra seasoning) and also drizzled 4 Tbsp of melted butter on the potato mixture prior to stuffing the stomach. I can't say enough good things about this recipe. It will be my new all-time favorite!!!
Dont let the name fool you! Its Good !! You can also make this without the pig stomach If It bothers you that much (chuckles) just layer filling in a roast pan and bake covered and It can be made without cabbage thats good too but then Its just not the old fashion pig stomach but give It a try It really Is good Thanks for sharing your recipe