Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Basil and garlic go well with the delicate flavor of chicken.
- 4 lbs chicken, whole
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or 1 tablespoon walnuts
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 425.
- Place the basil, garlic, canola/olive oil, Parmesan and nuts in a food processor.
- Pulse until a paste forms.
- Rub the paste under the skin of the chicken and in the cavity.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Cook at 425 for 7 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 375.
- Add 1 cup of water to the pan.
- Cook for 1 1/2-2 hours (or until lightly browned and tender).
- Slice and serve warm.