Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
thick rich soup with a nice spice to it great on cold winter evenings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, roasted
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ham hock
- 1⁄2 lb sausage, cooked chunked
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup yellow peas
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- cayenne powder, to tase
- place ham hock in stock and cook until tender.
- saute veges in olive oil and add to cooked stock.
- add cooked sausage to soup with the lentils and peas and spices.
- cook until peas and lentils are fork tender.
This had a comforting home-style flavor. The seasonings could have been just a little bit more pronounced for a sharper taste, and perhaps just a bit more roasted pepper flavor would have been good, as it was being slightly overwhelmed. But overall, a good recipe that I would make again. Thanks so much!