Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe is very versatile and I have listed a variety of the options available. This can be used for meats, chicken, soups, salads, where a recipe calls for salt and pepper. The recipe was printed in the winter 2007 Sabroso; however, the recipe is from Morton.
- In a heavy skillet, combine the salt with 1 of the options given.
- Toast over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until the salt turns off-white. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Adjust heat as necessary to keep the peppercorns or chili for burning being careful as both the chili and peppercorns will pop during this process.
- Remove the mixture from heat and allow to cool somewhat.
- Place the ingredients in a clean coffee or spice grinder and blend until a fine powder.
- Sift through a sieve to remove any husks or debris.
- Store mix in a clean dry jar with a tight fighting lid.
I really love this idea! I used a peppercorn blend. I think you could use this in/on almost anything! You'd pay through the nose for this pre-packaged! Thanks!